Ledger 1, Accounts Receivable Ledger, Coal, 1918




The company was formed by Colonel Robert Dickie Hunter in 1888 in Erath County, Texas. Hunter also formed the company town of Thurber, named for H. K. Thurber, his business partner. The area reached peak development in the early 1900s, providing half the coal supply for Texas. Oil discoveries near Ranger, Texas in 1917 prompted the company to cease operations. In 1933, the company moved its headquarters to Fort Worth and, in 1963, after Seagrams Distillers Company purchased the company, the offices were moved to Dallas, Texas, and its operations were merged to the Frankfort Oil Company.
The collection contains correspondence, financial material, legal materials, charter records, business reports, meeting minutes of the directors, stockholders, and executive committees relating to the company's operation, including Green and Hunter Brick Company, Texas Coal and Fuel Company, Texas Pacific Mercantile and Manufacturing Company, Thurber Brick Company, Thurber Construction Company, and Thurber Earthen Products Company.




The images in this collection are for study purposes, teaching, classroom projection and research only. Permission to publish these digital files in any form must be obtained from the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, 806-742-9070 or email reference.swco@ttu.edu.