Folder 8, Biographical Material and Field Notes, 1830-1879 and undated.

Date
Authors
item.page.orcid
Journal Title
Journal ISSN
Volume Title
Publisher
item.page.doi
Abstract
Description
The Capote Ranch refers to Jose de la Baume's ranch originally located 45 miles northeast of San Antonio. Jose, a French immigrant, had build a log cabin which was later relocated and restored at the Ranching Heritage Center in Lubbock, Texas, in 1975. It was provided by Wallace and Maurice Harrell of the Harrell Cattle Company.
Located in South Texas, Gonzales County was created in 1836 and organized in 1837. It was named after Coahuila and Texas Governor Rafael Gonzales. Its county seal is Gonzales. The area was among the first to be settled by an Anglo-American settlement known as the DeWitt Colony late in the 1820s. Its main economy is agribusiness.
The collection contains photocopied probate records (1840-1847) from Gonzales County, Texas, which detail properties and their values from several wills, photocopied abstracts (1845-1917) dealing with the six leagues of land known as the El Capote Ranch in Gonzales County, photocopies of correspondence, financial records, diaries, and maps to the El Capote Ranch.
El Capote Ranch Records, 1830-1917 and undated, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
Box 1, Folder 8
Keywords
item.page.sponsorship
item.page.rights
The images in this collection are for study purposes, teaching, classroom projection and research only. Permission to publish these digital files in any form must be obtained from the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, 806-742-9070 or email reference.swco@ttu.edu.
Citation