Burkburnett, Texas

Permanent URI for this collection

Located in northeastern Wichita County, Burkburnett, Texas, was founded in 1867. Originally known as Nesterville, then Gilbert, the town was finally named for rancher Samuel Burk Burnett in 1907. The first oil well began production in 1912. By 1918, the town was a major oil producer and became one of the boomtowns of the 1920s.

News

Contact information:
Reference Services,
Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
Texas Tech University
2805 15th Street
Lubbock, Texas 79409-1041
Phone (806) 742-9070

Visit The Southwest Collection's Reference Services website for more information on collections at the archive.

Browse

Recent Submissions

Now showing 1 - 20 of 33
Copyright: The images in the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library's digital repository have been made available for study purposes, teaching, classroom projection and research only. Permission to publish these digital files in any form must be obtained from the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library at Texas Tech University.