School of Medicine Blueprint - Building and Parking Lot




Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title



Blueprint of the School of Medicine.


Blueprint of the new School of Medicine building and parking lot viewed from above. Labeled "SD14" and "SD 14 of 16."
The Texas Tech School of Medicine was created on May 29, 1969 by the 61st Texas Legislature and admitted its first class of students in 1972. The process of developing a medical education facility for West Texas, however, began in 1949. In 1954, following a study of the medical community and services provided in the Lubbock area, surveyors determined need for improvement. Professionals were recruited in 1957 to form a Health Survey Committee. The findings of the committee provided the basis for future planning for the School of Medicine. A multi-campus institution with its administrative center in Lubbock and regional campuses at Amarillo, El Paso, and Odessa, it was expanded in 1979 to become the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. Following expansions included the establishment of the Schools of Nursing, Allied Health and the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, and Pharmacy School. Also, Allied Health programs were also expanded to Amarillo and Odessa.



The images in this collection are for study purposes, teaching, classroom projection and research only. To use these digital files in any form, an attribution of "Courtesy of the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library" must accompany the image.