German Art Collection, 1889-1980
Dr. Billy Ross, the chair of the School of Mass Communications at Texas Tech University, and a Mass Communications faculty member, Richard Schroeder, went to Pueblo, Colorado, to film World War II art works which were supposed to be returned to Germany. Ross received permission from the U. S. Army to film the works. Ross wrote down the documentation information that went with each art work while Schroeder did the photography work.
Donated by Dr. Billy Ross, the collection consists of negatives and slides on German World War II art.
Numerous acronyms were listed in the information sheets in this collection with little to no explanation of what they stood for. The only ones diphered are believed to stand for the following: OKW PK = Oberkommando der Wehrmacht Propaganda Kompanie and HDK = Haus der Deutschen Kunst or Haus of the German Art.
Please note the dates of this collection, 1889-1980, reflect the dates on the works of art, not the dates of when the works were photographed by Ross and Schroeder.
Many of the scanned negatives were either lightened slightly or had their color adjusted slightly in order to improve the digital image for online viewing.
Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
Texas Tech University
2805 15th Street
Lubbock, Texas 79409-1041
Phone (806) 742-9070
Visit The Southwest Collection's Reference Services website for more information on collections at the archive.
Copyright: The images in the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library's digital repository have been made available for study purposes, teaching, classroom projection and research only. Permission to publish these digital files in any form must be obtained from the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library at Texas Tech University.