Charles M. and James E. Cree: An Inventory of Their Papers, 1885-1950 and undated
Creator: Cree, Charles M. and James E.
Title: Charles M. and James E. Cree Papers
Dates: 1885-1950 and undated
Abstract: The Papers contain correspondence, financial documents, legal documents, and other material related to the affiars of the Cree family's ranch and land holdings in Eastern New Mexico.
Collection #: S 1821.1
Quantity: 1 box (.25 linear feet)
Repository: Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University
James E. Cree, a Scotsman and owner of a distillery in Edinburgh, Scotland, founded the Angus VV Ranch in the 1880's. It was located on Little Creek in the vicinity of the town of Angus, Lincoln County, New Mexico. Cree and his partner Brandon Kirby are credited with introducing the Angus breed of cattle to New Mexico. Pat Garrett, former sheriff and noted slayer of Billy the Kid, at one point served as ranch manager on the VV ranch.
Charles M. Cree, the son of James Cree, was also born in Scotland. After immigrating to New Mexico, he resided in Santa Fe, NM, but managed legal matters and other financial transactions related to the Ranch and other family land holdings well into the twentieth century.
Scope and Content
The bulk of the documents consist of correspondence, cattle brand identification and stock counts, and investigative reports concerning cattle rustling on and around the Angus VV Ranch in the 1890s. Additional material includes financial records, primarily dating from the early- to mid-twentieth century, all of which were handled by Charles M. Cree and his wife.
The Charles M. Cree Papers are organized by the following series: Cattle Rustling Investigation, Correspondence, Cowboy Poetry, Financial Material, Legal Material, and Printed Material.
Open for research.
The subject headings used by the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library are derived from the Library of Congress and/or locally developed.
Related Materials in the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library:
- Block Ranch Papers, 1885-1994 and undated
- Cloudcroft, New Mexico, Photograph Collection, 1922 and undated
- James Goforth oral history [sound recording], 2000
- Mescalero Apache Cattle Raisers Association Records, 1960s-1990s and undated
- Joe Roundsaville oral history [sound recording, 1971
- Frank Silva Luciano oral history [sound recording], 1968
Charles M. and James E. Cree Papers, 1885-1950 and undated, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
Collection accession #(s): 2014-0136-X
Processed by: Robert Weaver, 2016
Cattle Rustling Investigation
- Folder 1, Agent's report, 1894
- Folder 2, Brand evidence, undated
- Folder 3, Calf tallies, 1893-1894 and undated
- Folder 4, Certification of brands, 1892-1902 and undated
- Folder 10, A. Harry Aguayo, ca. 1903
- Folder 11, J. F. Allison, undated
- Folder 12, Ross Coe. ca 1903
- Folder 13, Louis Herrera, October 7, 1895
- Folder 14, Louis Herrera, November 12, 1895
- Folder 15, Louis Herrera, November 12, 1895
- Folder 16, Louis Herrera, December 21, 1895
- Folder 17, Louis Herrera, January 9, 1896
- Folder 18, E. E. Miller, undated
- Folder 19, Felix Miller, December 6, 1895
- Folder 20, James M. Minter, ca. 1903
- Folder 21, Unidentified witness, January 16, 1894
- Folder 22, Unidentified witness, undated
- Folder 23, 1890
- Folder 25, Correspondence and receipts, 1896-1950
- Folder 26, Tax receipts, 1890-1945
- Folder 27, H. A. Hicks Law Office correspondence, August 1927-August 1928
- Folder 28, Land deeds and correspondence, 1885-1939
- Folder 29, Oil and gas leases and correspondence, April 1942-November 1943
- Folder 30, Passport, 1928
- Biographical summary