Texas Tech Athletics
Texas Technological College was chartered in 1923, and its first football coach, E. Y. Freeland, was hired in 1925. The first football game was held at the Fair Grounds. In 1947, the Clifford B. and Audrey Jones Stadium was completed and originally held 18,000 seats. The stadium was renovated in 1959 to increase the seating capacity, with subsequent renovations occurring in 1969, 1972, 1990, and 2000. The Athletics Training Center was opened in 1986 and included facilities for indoor track, volleyball, tennis, baseball, and golf. Completed in late 1999, the 15,000 seat United Spirit Arena became the new home for the university's basketball and volleyball teams.
Baseball, track and tennis were played at Texas Tech beginning in 1926. Golf was begun in 1936. The university also at one time maintained a swim team. Since 1925, the university's football team, The Red Raiders, has participated in over 22 bowl games and produced numerous notable athletes. Texas Tech joined the Border Conference in 1932 and became a member of the Southwest Conference in 1956. The disbanding of the Southwest Conference in 1996 led to Tech's joining the newly formed Big 12 Conference the same year.
The bulk of the images in this collection were either taken by Texas Tech or by studios hired by Texas Tech to film individual players and group team portraits. Some of the images come from other individual manuscript and photographic collections.
Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
Texas Tech University
Lubbock, Texas 79409-1041
Phone (806) 742-3749
Visit The University Archives website for more information on the history of Texas Tech University.
The images in this collection are for study purposes, teaching, classroom projection and research only. To use these digital files in any form, an attribution of "Courtesy of the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library" must accompany the image.