Sharps Rifle Company Records, 1874-1884, and undated
The Sharps Rifle Company was founded in 1851 by Christian Sharps (1811-1874), and was originally called the Sharps Rifle Manufacturing Company. After legal difficulties the company was reorganized as the Sharps Rifle Company in 1874. The company ceased operations in 1881.
Scope and Content
The Sharps Rifle Company Records contains letters written to the Sharps Rifle Company from persons in Texas, primarily comprising purchase requests for firearms and parts. The collection covers various aspects of life in Texas such as buffalo hunting, business dealings, and the necessity of firearms. Also includes the circular, "A Description of Shackelford County, Texas."
The Sharps Rifle Company Records are organized by the following series: Correspondence, Correspondence and Broadsides.
Open for research.
The subject headings used by the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library are derived from the Library of Congress and/or locally developed.
Sharps Rifle Company Records, 1874-1884, and undated, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
Collection accession #(s): n/a
n/a, 1960; Robert Weaver, 2016.