Located in northeastern Wichita County, Burkburnett, Texas, was founded in 1867. Originally known as Nesterville, then Gilbert, the town was finally named for rancher Samuel Burk Burnett in 1907. The first oil well began production in 1912. By 1918, the town was a major oil producer and became one of the boomtowns of the 1920s.

News

Contact information:

Randy Vance
Reference Services,
Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
Box 41041
Texas Tech University
Lubbock, Texas 79409-1041
Phone (806) 742-9070

Visit The Southwest Collection's Reference Services website for more information on collections at the archive.

Recent Submissions

View more