Texas Tech Football and Basketball Game Programs
Senate Bill No. 103, passed on February 10, 1923, set into motion the establishment of a new college in West Texas. Lubbock was selected in 1924 as the site for Texas Technological College. The college opened officially on September 15, 1925. Football was played starting in 1925. Baseball, track and tennis were played at Texas Tech beginning in 1926. Golf was begun in 1936. The university also at one time maintained a men's and women's swim team. Since 1925, the university's football team, The Red Raiders, has participated in over 22 bowl games and produced numerous notable athletes. Texas Tech joined the Border Conference in 1932 and became a member of the Southwest Conference in 1956. The disbanding of the Southwest Conference in 1996 led to Tech's joining the newly formed Big 12 Conference the same year.
Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
Texas Tech University
2805 15th Street
Lubbock, Texas 79409-1041
Phone (806) 742-9070
Visit The Southwest Collection's Reference Services website for more information on collections at the archive.
Copyright: The images in the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library's digital repository have been made available for study purposes, teaching, classroom projection and research only. Permission to publish these digital files in any form must be obtained from the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library at Texas Tech University.