Robert G. Campbell Slide Collection, 1960s-1990s
Robert G. Campbell was born March 12, 1928, in Windsor Locks, Connecticut. From 1946-1949 he served with the Army before continuing on with his education. He received his bachelor's degree from Vanderbilt University in 1953, his master's degree from the University of Colorado in 1955, and his Ph.D. from the University of Colorado in 1969. Aside from his teaching experience Campbell also worked for the National Park Service as a park archaeologist and was a member of numerous archaeological and anthropological societies.
From 1969-1993 he served as a professor in the Anthropology Department at Texas Tech University. At Texas Tech he served as director of the anthropology program in Queretaro, Mexico and conducted tours of significant archeological sites in that area.
As an extensive traveler, Campbell visited archaeological and historic sites throughout the world and his slides document the changes or lack of changes to these sites over a period of time. He was meticulous in his identification of each slide. He labelled each slide with his own coding system - country, region, identification of the image, trip number when the image was taken, date the image was taken, etc. He also made a point of taking photographs of the surrounding geography as a way of siting the location he was visiting.
The slides were donated by his wife, Mei Campbell, who was a professor in the Museum Science program at Texas Tech University.
The collection is being slowly digitized and added to this online site. Please check back each week for new additions to the collection. The digital images have been lightly watermarked with a Double T symbol to protect their copyright. A researcher interested in obtaining a high resolution, non-watermarked version of any of the images in Dr. Campbell's collection should contact the Southwest Collection.
Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
Texas Tech University
Lubbock, Texas 79409-1041
Phone (806) 742-3749
Visit The University Archives website for more information on the history of Texas Tech University.
The images in this collection are for study purposes, teaching, classroom projection and research only. Permission to publish these digital files in any form must be obtained from the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, 806-742-9070 or e-mail email@example.com.