Show simple item record

dc.contributorDouble U Company
dc.coverage.spatialGarza County (Tex.)
dc.coverage.spatialPost (Tex.)
dc.date.accessioned2019-02-27T18:24:25Z
dc.date.available2019-02-27T18:24:25Z
dc.date.issued1908
dc.identifierS272.2
dc.identifier.urihttps://hdl.handle.net/10605/352279
dc.descriptionThe Double U Company was a land colonization business chartered in 1907 by breakfast food magnate Charles William Post (1854-1914) of Battle Creek, Michigan. From 1906-1907, Post purchased over 200,000 acres of land in Garza, Lynn, and Hockley Counties Texas. The acquisition encompassed parts of the Curry Comb Ranch, the O. S. Ranch, the T. G. Oxsheer Ranch, and a portion of John B. Slaughter's U-Lazy-S Ranch. The town of Post, in Garza County, Texas began as a tent city in 1906. By 1916, after an extensive real estate campaign, Post City and the surrounding area numbered approximately 3,000 inhabitants, with 14 private corporations that together held over 1.2 million dollars in capital stock. The Double U charter expired in 1957 and C. W. Post's heirs established the Post-Montgomery Ranch and the Double U Ranch, consisting of rangeland near Levelland, Tahoka, and Post, Texas. Primary industries in Post, Texas are agriculture and oil.
dc.descriptionThe collection is composed of maps and architectural drawings on various media. Maps include survey maps, mostly of land in Garza and Lynn Counties, farm subdivisions, cemetery, water system, roads, and "rain battles." Architectural drawings include commercial, industrial, public, and residential structures. Plats of Post City depict aspects of infrastructure and planning. Of special interest are drawings for the water system and reservoir.
dc.descriptionThe collection is organized into the following series: Post City Plats and Drawings Related to Infrastructure (Boxes 1-2); Architectural Drawings for Commercial and Industrial Structures (Boxes 2-3); Architectural Drawings of Residential Structures (Boxes 3-5); Architectural Drawings of Farm Structures (Box 5); Maps (Boxes 5-7); and City of Post Improvements (Boxes 7-8).
dc.format.extentVolume
dc.format.mimetypeapplication/pdf
dc.language.isoen_US
dc.relation.ispartofDouble U Company Collection, 1905-1978 and undated, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
dc.rightsThe images in this collection are for study purposes, teaching, classroom projection and research only. Permission to publish these digital files in any form must be obtained from the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, 806-742-9070 or email reference.swco@ttu.edu.
dc.subject.lcshPost, C. W. (Charles William), 1854-1914.
dc.subject.lcshGarza County (Tex.)--History.
dc.subject.lcshDouble U Company.
dc.subject.lcshColonization (Tex.)--History.
dc.titleItem 69, Drawing #08046, "C-5", Sheet 1 (2 sheets), Location of Elevator in Machinery Room, unknown building, 1908
dc.typeImage


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record