Electra, Texas, originally known as Beaver, was established in western Wichita County as a trading post for the Comanches under Quanah Parker in 1889. In 1900, W.T. Waggoner convinced the Fort Worth and Denver Railroad to build a switch in Beaver, and the town was renamed to honor his daughter, Electra. Testing for oil in 1911 set off a boom that peaked at 8,288,000 barrels in 1914. The Electra wells turned out over a million barrels per year into the 1950s.
Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
Texas Tech University
2805 15th Street
Lubbock, Texas 79409-1041
Phone (806) 742-9070
Visit The Southwest Collection's Reference Services website for more information on collections at the archive.
Copyright: The images in the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library's digital repository have been made available for study purposes, teaching, classroom projection and research only. Permission to publish these digital files in any form must be obtained from the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library at Texas Tech University.