Human Sciences Scrapbooks
When Texas Technological College opened in 1925, the School of Home Economics boasted enrollment of 78 students, three staff persons, and was composed of the department of Clothing and Design and the department of Foods and Nutrition. The school was one of the four original units of Texas Technological College, and grew to include over 19 faculty members by 1955. The faculty even taught art courses until an art department was later established in 1927. Under the strong leadership of its former deans, the College of Human Sciences grew in both size and reputation.
The debate to change the name from "the School of Home Economics" to "the College of Human Sciences" was roughly two years in the making. Officially becoming the College of Human Sciences on January 1, 1993, the college held a six-day "Celebrating the Challenge of Change" event with several noted speakers, presentations and dedications.
Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
Texas Tech University
2805 15th Street
Lubbock, Texas 79409-1041
Phone (806) 742-9070
Visit The Southwest Collection's Reference Services website for more information on collections at the archive.
Copyright: The images in the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library's digital repository have been made available for study purposes, teaching, classroom projection and research only. Permission to publish these digital files in any form must be obtained from the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library at Texas Tech University.